Date: June 1, 2022
Airbo provides an engaging, cloud-based Employee Communication Platform — Virtual Fairs plus Year-Round Benefit Communications — to a wide variety of organizations and industries since 2011. We maintain the trust of our clients, from public school districts to Fortune 500 enterprises, adhering to industry-standard security management without compromising functionality or ease of use.
This whitepaper examines information security at Airbo:
- Internal Policies and Procedures
- Third Party Services and Tools
- Privacy and Security Objectives
Internal Policies and Procedures
Airbo is a forward-thinking, completely cloud-based company — both our internal systems as well as our client-facing systems. We do not maintain physical infrastructure other than company-issued laptops. Airbo-issued laptops are required to be password protected with cryptographically-strong passwords changed at intervals. When required, client information is downloaded to a password-protected, encrypted partition.
In addition to thorough reference checks, Airbo also conducts full criminal background checks on all employees as part of our hiring process. All Airbo employees are provided comprehensive training on security standards and policies as well as industry best practices regarding information security.
Separation of Concerns and Access
Airbo restricts access to resources based on functional roles:
- All engineers have reference access to source code
- Non-privileged engineers are restricted to development and QA environments with test data fixtures
- Designated engineering team members can author changes
- Pre-approved team leads can affect production
Non-Technical Business Access
All non-technical information access (client contracts, communications, personnel data and financials) is restricted to only those whose roles require access.
Third-Party and Vendor Services
- Enforcement of secure login and password storage for access to vendor and external interfaces A, C
- Enforcement of MFA/2FA, cryptographically-hardened passwords: 12-char min., alpha+numeric+special, and no reuse
- Role-based Access Control with the least privileges granted
- Rotation of administrative passwords every 60 Days
- Prompt application of all vendor recommended software updates and patches related to security A, B, C, D
All Airbo employees are screened prior to employment with checks:
- Six (6) years of address history
- Three (3) years of employment history
- Education Verification
- Criminal background checks
Airbo employees with authorized access to production and test environments are further screened prior to access being granted.
Upon termination of employment, the departing employee’s access to all Airbo resources and systems is immediately blocked:
- Revoke, disable or remove all system and accounts associated with the employee (including databases, code repository, application)
- Change administrator passwords in all systems to which the employee had access
- Disable employee access to email but keep the account active to monitor any security-related communications
All of Airbo’s services are engineered with stringent OWASP-derived practices for change-management. Airbo's engineering team subscribes to industry mailing lists F, scans all code on every change for quality, security and implements recommended security D, G patches within 24 - 48 hours to mitigate vulnerability exposure E. Penetration testing is with our partners at re and Amazon A.C.
External Platform Protection
Airbo partners with industry leaders in PaaS and IaaS infrastructure, and organizations with well-established, 3rd-party-audited governance programs in place A, C. They adhere to the most stringent security management methodologies and standards such as ISO 27001, AT101, and SSAE16.
Data In Transit and At Rest
Airbo encrypts all customer data in a secure database (AES-256) and protects all data in-transit with the HTTPS/TLS 1.3 protocol, utilizing strong AES ciphers capable of up to 256 bits.
Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Airbo maintains 7 days of continuous rollbacks with a month follower, in arrears. Redundancy and high-availability is achieved with auto-scaling of Heroku instances. Our business continuity and recovery plans are audited continuously and tested monthly.
Separation of Concerns
Airbo’s services are multi-tenanted and follow stringent security that ensures no information disclosure is permitted between customers.
Secure Customer Management
Airbo uses RBAC architecture to restrict user access to resources. Access is granted on a “least privilege” basis. There are four types of roles, each with specific privileges:
- Guest Users — view content at a public URL on the airbo.com domain. While Airbo does not track this user, a cookie is added to remember subsequent sessions.
- Ordinary Users — view content and alter their own information.
- Client Administrators — are designated as administrators to create content, send digest emails to groups, add new users and designate other Ordinary Users to be Client Administrators.
- Site Administrators — are Airbo staff acting as Client Administrators. Additionally, they can switch between any instance to access additional reporting.
Further separation is applied to critical operations, such as deletion of a client instance, which requires C-level password approval.
HIPAA / California's CCPA / GDPR
Electing not to collect Personal Health Identification (PHI), Airbo maintains compliance. For other data, confidentiality, privacy and ownership of information is maintained. Access must be granted explicitly.
Secure Use of Service
Airbo users are provided with the knowledge of how to best implement and manage the product to ensure content remains accessible and available on a need-to-know basis achieved through:
- Customer Success Managers
- Extensive online help
- Live online support portal
Identity and Authentication
Airbo users authenticate with their username and password to access non-public features of the website. In certain scenarios, authenticated users with a non-expired session can access Airbo via a randomly-generated authentication token attached an email link.
Audit Information and Provision to Customers
Airbo provides reports that detail usage and access to all content stored in its services.
- Heroku Security Policy (division of SalesForce)
- Compose Security Policy (division of IBM)
- Amazon Web Services ISO 27001 Certification